Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Comfort

A familiar voice on the other end of the phone--at 3:30 am. A Bostonite in Texas. A car ride home. An impromptu trip to Vegas (complete with a $375 win at Texas Hold 'em and a 97 on an ethics exam the very next day). A necklace. A book of poems. A father asleep on a living room floor. Mixed cds. A lesson in red wines. A long run with girlfriends. A tail wagging and a tongue licking. A place to move.

And music.

Matt Nathanson, Come On Get Higher:
If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what's next
I'd make you believe
I'd make you forget.

Jack Johnson, Better Together:
Love is the answer at least for most of the questions in my heart
Why are we here? And where do we go? And how come it's so hard?

Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah:
and even though it all went wrong,
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
with nothing on my lips but Hallelujah!

Jack Johnson, Breakdown:
You can't stop wishing if you don't let go
Of the things that you find and you lose and you know
You keep on rolling, put the moment on hold
Because the frame's too bright, so put the blinds down low.

Bruce Springsteen, Brilliant Disguise:
God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he's sure of.

No comments: