I've had the wonderful opportunity to resume my yoga practice while living in Pittsburgh. Different styles of yoga seem to mark different time periods in my life, and tonight's session reminded me of the very first yoga class I attended - almost 8 years ago. My introduction to yoga was a small part of a life changing weekend spent in Chicago, with my dear friend, Holly. Remembering that trip, while lying in Savasana, brought tears to my eyes (although admittedly, I have a habit of tearing up while lying in Savasana). I welcomed the tears and the memories that surrounded their release. It's a weekend worth blogging about - because it's a weekend I never want to forget.
It was a weekend of 'firsts.' It was my first time visiting Holly in Chicago...and hugging her after she was diagnosed with cancer...and holding her hand during her chemotherapy treatment...and witnessing, or rather, feeling her courage. It was also the first time in my life to offer comfort and support to someone experiencing more pain and uncertainty than I could comprehend.
And it was Holly's first time to get drunk as a chemo patient!! I watched her hold back tears and vomit to toast to my arrival, our friendship, and her recovery. After spending the afternoon in the hospital, we dined on overpriced salads and obsessed over the veins in her arms (in order to keep her veins from collapsing, she rotated their use). We talked incessantly - hypothesizing why this was happening to her, and what it was all supposed to mean. And we laughed. Mostly because of Holly's unique observation skills, subtle facial expressions, biting sarcasm, and natural tendency to be overly empathetic when listening to you explain your frustrations - however trivial. We stayed up late, drank every drop of wine we could get our hands on, and imagined what her new life would be like...after the cancer was gone.
Somehow, after all of the alcohol consumption and life contemplation, she managed to get up the next morning to attend a yoga class with me.
I can't recall the area of Chicago we were in, but it was trendy and artsy, and we casually strolled the streets until we found an empty yoga class to take (because really, when you've never done something before, and you're feeling awkward and weak, and completely inflexible, it's best to have all the attention on you!). The experience was memorable - in a painful sorta way - for two reasons. Downward "fucking" dog (Holly's words) and our hangover. She never went back.
I, however, didn't give in so easily. I tried out several studios in Austin until I found a fit, and remained diligent to my practice for several years. It feels good to reopen this part of my life.
The instructor in class today read a quote from the Buddha that Holly would have liked. She said, "Praise and blame, gain and loss, pleasure and sorrow come and go like the wind. To be happy, rest like a great tree in the midst of them all."
Click on the Buddha for more food for thought.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment