Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Baby G's Cd

I was asked to assemble a baby making CD. Literally. Kim is set to give birth in the very near future (see the recent pic of her for proof), and I've accepted the very important, although often overlooked, responsibility of selecting music for the event. Woah. This is a serious request ;) I mean, the first music to grace her baby girl's ears ('Baby G' to me) - outside of the womb - is at my discretion!! I have contemplated what songs to include for several weeks, and here's what I'm thinking (and why). But suggestions are always welcomed 'cuz there is still time to tweak!

1. Capri by Colbie Caillat

There'll be no surprise
That she'll grow to be
So beautifully
Just like her mother


2. The One Who Loves You the Most by Brett Dennen

When you forgive your imperfections
And you've auctioned all your clothes
And you look to see your true reflection
You will be the one who loves you the most


I struggle with this. Let's hope Baby G never does.

3. I Hope by the Dixie Chicks

Don't we all hope for more love, more joy and laughter - especially when new life enters our world?

4. Hold You In My Arms by Ray LaMontagne

Beautiful voice. Beautiful man. The lyrics, I could hold you forever seem perfect for a mother and her newborn.

5. Upside Down by Jack Johnson

Somehow Jack always makes the cut. This song reminds us to welcome change, shoot for the impossible, nurture our own curiousity...and to always keep trying.

6. Honey and the Moon by Joseph Arthur

He's been a favorite of mine for years; and hopefully, his soothing sound will help to relax Mom on the big day.

7. A Minor Incident by Badly Drawn Boy

This song is actually kind of sad. But I was drawn to the lyrics, There's nothing you could never do to ever let me down; And remember that I'll always love you.

8. Just Like the Moon by Brett Dennen

I am in love with all things Brett at the moment.

9. Heavenly Day by Patty Griffin

Baby G is a miracle. From heaven. And her birth will surely make for a "Heavenly Day!"

10. Arms of a Woman by Amos Lee

No explanation needed. The title says it all.

11. Graceland by Paul Simon

Because it's one of the best. And it's happy and energizing. And although I can't say for sure, I am sensing that Baby G will be a peace loving, hybrid driving, Obama supporting, and organic foods consuming kinda baby.

12. She's Mine by Brett Dennen

Surprise. More Brett. And yes, she is all yours Kim and Erik. Congratulations!

13. Lullaby by Dixie Chicks

Every bit of this song is for a baby.

14. Oh by Dave Matthews

'Cuz of lines like:
I love you oh so well
Like a kid loves candy and fresh snow


And because we used to watch him perform on Wednesday nights at the Flood Zone in Richmond, VA. For a measly five bucks.

15. Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison

This is to remind Mom that little girls are sweet - like honey.

(But, they're also sassy, intelligent, strong willed, bold, independent...hmmm, I'm feeling another CD brewing!!)

2 comments:

KJC said...

When I read "baby-making" I thought Kim was ready for Baby #3! I love the inclusion of Tupelo Honey!

Rhea said...

Haha! Maybe I should have said "baby-delivering" or "baby-producing."