My New Year's resolution for 2008 was to make this list. Whew. It was a lot harder than I thought. And just to make sure it was done in time, I started it several weeks ago!
My motivation was simple: I want the next year, and all the years to follow, to be different. Better. I've come to believe that, in the right light, divorce can be viewed as a "get out of jail free" card, a do over, or a second chance. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall and much of 2007 was spent putting her pieces back together again. And with all that patching up, rearranging, and glueing came a whole lotta clarity. And heaps of inspiration.
I imagine that ol' Humpty will slip and lose her footing several more times in her life, but right now she's keeping her fingers crossed that all the king's horses and all the king's men used some really strong super glue.
(I apologize. Referring to yourself in the third person is sorta creepy).
Anyway, here's a snippet of how I hope to be different. Better. (I must admit that I'm a little bit embarrassed to actually be sharing this, but I guess I can now cross #35 off my list!)
Drum roll please...
1. Paint a picture that I could hang in my house. And not cringe when I walk by it.
2. Travel internationally for a relief mission.
3. Pay off all debt.
4. Buy an old home and restore it to my liking.
5. Fall in love with someone who will challenge me (big difference from someone being a challenge).
6. Fall in love with someone who also has a list - or at least doesn't think things like this are stupid!
7. Run a marathon.
8. Grow a vegetable garden.
9. See a play or musical on Broadway at least once a year.
10. Attend a Kenny Rogers' concert. Look past the new face.
11. Drink more and diet less.
12. Do something thoughtful for someone else every single day.
13. Cry in front of others and not be embarrassed by my ugly cry face.
14. Learn/read more about all religions.
15. Karaoke.
16. Learn to snow board or down hill ski really well.
17. Bake an apple pie like my grandmother's.
18. Have a family.
19. Learn to speak Spanish.
20. Live without a TV for a period of time.
21. Knit a scarf.
22. Go to a professional baseball game.
23. Go to a professional football game when it's crazy cold and snowing. And drink enough to keep warm.
24. Read/know more about world history.
25. Recycle more.
26. Start a program to recycle where one needs to be.
27. Learn to compost.
28. Take an 'outdoorsy' trip at least once a year.
29. Criticize less.
30. Learn how to invest my money (when I actually get some).
31. Keep abreast on world events.
32. Become a better poker player.
33. Accept uncertainty w/grace.
34. Do something every month (or more) that makes me say, "WTF am I doing?"
35. Open up more. And be embarrassed less.
36. Complete an entire NY Times crossword puzzle by myself.
37. Laugh until I cry. Everyday.
38. Visit Central America.
39. Smile at strangers, often.
40. Give more love when I'm feeling empty.
41. Soften when I feel ready to attack.
42. Learn more sign language.
43. Eat less sugar.
44. Establish some roots in a community.
45. Make a difference in that community.
46. And then stay in that community.
47. Learn how to sail. By my brother.
48. Befriend new people weekly.
49. Speak what I believe, more often.
50. Be less afraid of judgement.
51. Learn how to change a flat tire.
52. Learn the basics of a car engine.
53. Cook out of my comfort zone at least once a month.
54. See the U.S. in an RV. With the love of my life.
55. Attend a taping of Letterman. Or Ellen.
56. Be hypnotized.
57. And then discover who I was in a past life.
58. Visit a castle with a moat. (Do they still exist?)
59. Ride on a motorcycle.
60. Learn how to add graphics to the layout of this blog.
61. Finish this damn list.
62. Adhere to this list.
63. Add new things to this list when space becomes available.
64. Master a front flip off of a diving board or boat.
65. Dye my hair strawberry blonde.
66. Eat more raw foods.
67. Plan more surprises for the people I love.
68. Spend more time w/old people who live alone.
69. Write an ode to macaroni and cheese 'cuz I love it so much.
70. Marry Will Ferrell.
71. Meet Kristin Armstrong.
72. Learn how to cook meat well (or just better).
73. Read "The Grapes of Wrath."
74. Get a tattoo.
75. Get it removed.
76. Start a bar fight.
77. Star in a "Girls Gone Wild Video." Kidding!!!
78. Ride a mechanical bull.
79. Continue to keep the relationships I have with my friends and family as my numero uno priority.
80. Invest in the meaning of Christmas all year round.
81. Plan a little bit more (just a little bit).
82. Live near water.
83. Pray everyday.
84. Freshen up on my world geography.
85. Suggest to others to make lists like this...but narrow it to only 50!!
86. Polish up on my negotiating skills.
87. Buy myself more flowers.
88. " ...listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story."
89. Figure out exactly what words are supposed to be capitalized in a title.
90. Play in mud.
91. Be my best source of comfort.
92. Remember that doubting means no, fear means yes, and discerning between the two is the real challenge.
93. Own a shower that has two shower heads.
94. Run as often as possible.
95. Spot a UFO.
96. Lie in a field w/my children and make shapes out of the clouds.
97. Nurture a positive attitude, an open mind, and a gentle spirit. Everyday.
98. Do a little dance.
99. Make a little love.
100. Get down tonight.
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Rhea, I love your list! I particularly like #92 and #97...you have inspired me to write my list, beginning with #1-Daydream more often in places where you shouldn't.
Can I just copy your list..jk. That is an amazing list. I don't think I can pick my fav! They're all great. I think my #1 would be to rule the world...just a thought. I don't think you know how much I miss my crazy, cheesy friend Rhea. She's a cool chick...just cause she's my friend. So lets go to a pitt's game when it's cold and get drunk to warm us. What do you think...although we'd have to wait til next fall when it starts again. Alright lady...catch ya later. Much love to my girl,
Gabby
This post of yours is also inspiration for the start of my blog. Force myself to get out there and do stuff. We should compare notes!
I can to hook you up with the strawberry blonde....we got that covered as soon as you get back...we'll just call you Strawberry Shortcake now. I can also help out with the drinking and dieting less one. I can definitely help with 100, too! I love, love, love your list. I'll aspire to write my own....one day!!
Post a Comment