Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Kite Runner

Two or three years ago, this book made its debut on the book club circuit. I've finally carved out time in my schedule to read it. And what a read it is! I started this book this morning and I finished it this afternoon. I guess this is sort of like eating an entire box of doughnuts in one sitting. You know you should probably pace yourself, and save a few for later - but you just. can't. stop.

And yet, I can't take credit for being the speediest reader. My friend Kim finished all 768 pages of Exile, by Richard North Patterson, in like 36 minutes. Seriously.

(Okay, not really. Nevertheless, she reads ridiculously fast.)

But back to The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. It's lovely. And does everything a well written book should.

Here are a few of my favorite passages, in no particular order:
For you a thousand times over!

I slipped the picture back where I had found it. Then I realized something: That last thought had brought no sting with it. Closing Sohrab's door, I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.

Mashallah, God has granted you a special talent. It is now your duty to hone that talent, because a person who wastes his God-given talents is a donkey.

1 comment:

KJC said...

You MUST read his subsequent book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns". If you can believe it, I think it was even better than his first!